Read the latest news and updates from Pass With Flying Colors.
March 20, 2020 | Staying Connected with Students During COVID-19 Closures
At Pass With Flying Colors, our programs are tailored to the needs of each student. While we respond to coronavirus by canceling group programs, we remain committed to supporting each of the 170+ students we serve. Our students have always benefited from high-touch support and with our help are succeeding at higher rates than other first-generation students. As this situation unfolds, their need for support persists and evolves.
We’ve adapted our programming and launched innovative approaches to avoid disruptions in the support our students need:
- Phone support and check-ins for all students, with special support for high school seniors to address financial aid and college decision process and college students for e-learning support
- Technology loans so high school and college students have computer access to complete e-learning requirements and stay on-track academically
- Do Something! Challenge online toolkit to support PWFC scholars and other first-generation students make progress on plans for summer employment, academic enrichment, internships, and college and career exploration programs
- Referrals and resources for food, health care, internet services and other needs
In addition to these adjustments, we are continuing to plan for and seek support to implement online workshops, virtual internships and emergency funds to ensure persistence and enrollment for college students facing loss of income. We are also seeking new and expanded funding from our supporters to sustain our work in light of expected declines in revenue.
Help keep programs available and accessible to students.
March 9, 2020 | College Dreams 2020 Raises Over $90,000
College Dreams was held on Saturday, February 29, 2020. College Dreams raised more than $90,000 for college scholarships and to support programs that prepare first-generation students for college and career success.
March 6, 2019 | Celebrating College Graduates!
The new video celebrating our first college graduates was unveiled at College Dreams on Saturday, March 2, 2019. College Dreams raised more than $115,000 to support programs that prepare first-generation students for college and career success.
Browse our gallery of photos from the fun and exciting evening:
May 21, 2018 | Senior Scholars make College Decisions
High school senior scholars graduate on June 7! Students look forward to attending the following colleges this fall:
- Albion College (Michigan)
- City Colleges of Chicago (Illinois)
- Elmhurst College (Illinois)
- Knox College (Illinois)
- Northern Illinois University (Illinois)
- St. Olaf College (Minnesota)
- Santa Clara University (California)
- University of Illinois at Chicago, 2 scholars (Illinois)
- University of Wisconsin Madison (Wisconsin)
Thank you for making college a reality for our scholars. Join us today with a gift to help more students succeed. Make a donation by May 31 and your gift may be eligible for a match.
May 1, 2018 | Scholars Spring into Action!
This March, junior scholars toured University of Wisconsin-Madison, Lawrence University, and Marquette University. Freshman and senior scholars traveled to Camp Manito-wish where they participated in leadership and team building workshops to build communication, confidence, and sense of belonging as they prepare to transition to college. Check out our scholars’ spring break activities:
February 24, 2018 | College Dreams: Chicago’s Got Talent
On Saturday, February 24, 2018, we welcomed 230 guests for an evening of magic, live performances, and exciting games! With your support, we raised $126,000 for 113 talented scholars’ College Ready and College Success programming.
Missed College Dreams? Support our scholars with a donation today. New and increased donations will be matched dollar for dollar until May 31!
Check out photographs of the special evening:
Hear Emily’s powerful story about her journey as a Pass With Flying Colors scholar and how she hopes to make a difference using her education.
October 27, 2017 | Seniors Accepted to Colleges from Coast to Coast
Our tenacious senior scholars have been preparing for the past month to attend Chicago Scholars Onsite Admissions Forum on October 24. With the support and guidance of our College Success Manager, Kelvin, senior scholars Adriana, Alyssa, Chelsea, George, Ishaly, Leo, Mariela, Mona, Quddus, Shurook, and Vanessa complete dozens of college applications and participate in two interview prep sessions with mentors, volunteers, and staff.
On Tuesday, over 170 colleges and universities from across the nation gathered at Navy Pier to interview one-on-one with over 1,000 of Chicago’s most talented students. PWFC scholars interviewed with at several best fit colleges. Each scholar received admissions on the spot, and the cohort was awarded$299,000 in annual scholarships. They’ll continue to receive more acceptances and scholarships as the application season continues!
Scholars were accepted to the following colleges at Onsite:
- Albion College (Michigan)
- Augustana College (Illinois)
- Beloit College (Wisconsin)
- Cornell College (Iowa)
- DePaul University (Illinois)
- Depauw University (Iowa)
- Drake University (Iowa)
- Luther College (Iowa)
- Marist College (New York)
- Marquette University (Wisconsin)
- Manhattanville College (New York)
- Monmouth College (Illinois)
- University of Illinois at Chicago (Illinois)
- University of Northern Iowa (Iowa)
- University of Southern California (California)
June 28, 2017 | PWFC Scholars Spend Summer on Campus
Just one week after the school year ended, Pass With Flying Colors scholars are already filling their backpacks and cramming their duffel bags. Tickets in hand, they’re about to hit to road to campuses across the country to spend time in pre-college programs that will allow them to experience dorm life and take college courses.
Rising PWFC Senior Chelsea is headed to Indiana State. “Going to a summer immersion program is a great opportunity. It’s like having the real college experience, because we’re actually going to get to live and learn there,” she said. “It’s like getting a ‘sneak peek’ before we actually go to college.” This summer, Chelsea and 19 other PWFC students will learn what to expect in college at summer programs on college campuses
Pass With Flying Colors scholars will participate in:
- Emory University (Pre-college Summer Program)
- Illinois Institute of Technology (Freelance Coder Camp, Intro to Engineering and Design)
- Loyola University Chicago (Summer Enrichment at Loyola)
- Companies That Care (Career Exploration Internship)
- Chicago Summer Business Institute
- Marquette University (Health Careers Opportunity Program, 2 Day Summer Visit)
- Indiana State University (Summer Honors)